What You Should Know
Any given day at Hyland's headquarters might find co-workers facing off on the indoor badminton court, zipping down the office slide or settling their children into the onsite Montessori center. On special occasions, Hyland sends its entire workforce to a theme park for the day or sets up a beer garden in the parking lot to celebrate a software release. Even more than these perks, though, employees overwhelmingly highlight the sense of camaraderie and pride they share with their co-workers. It's proven a tight-knit work home for technology professionals who value a fun workplace that also gives back to the community. At the same time, a share of employees feel the pay could be more competitive. One team member sums up the atmosphere this way: "You truly feel like you are a part of something bigger while working here. I look forward to coming to work every day and seeing my co-workers, whom I consider friends and family at this point."
WHAT THEY DO
Hyland helps its clients digitize, organize and store documents.
| Website: www.onbase.com
|| US Headquarters: Westlake, Ohio
| US Sites: 10
|| Major Locations: Westlake, OH; Andover, MA; Salt Lake City, Utah; Tampa, Florida; Irvine, California
| US Employees: 1565*
|| US revenues: $267.12 million*
| Worldwide revenues: $273.81 million*
|| Employees worldwide: 1633*
| Founded: 1991
|| Industry: Information Technology
* Employee counts and revenue figures are accurate as of December 31, 2013.
How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?
Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. At Hyland, 88 percent of employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 9 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.
A large majority of employees (94 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and 91 percent also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. Additionally, the majority of employees (84 percent) describe their work at Hyland as "more than just a job."
At Hyland, 92 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at Hyland, 79 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, exceeding what one can typically expect at even the very best companies in the country.
Supporting Employee Development
- College Tuition Reimbursement: $14,000
- Average annual training for part-time hourly employees: 50 hours
- Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 77 hours
- New hires at Hyland meet regularly with a mentor for their first six months and receive a minimum of two weeks of training on the company's software. Ongoing education covers professional certifications, leadership development and other topics taught through in-person classes and a library of more than 1,000 online courses. A job-shadowing program also lets employees spend half a day in a different department of their choosing.
Hyland has high expectations for its employees, perhaps even more so than most companies. This is great for promoting growth and hard work. But what makes them stand out even further is that they recognize and understand the sheer volume of content that exists to be learned. It simply isn't possible for a single person to completely understand so much material, and this is where their organization set-up comes in handy. I am expected to do my due diligence with each task, but I am afforded assistance of all sorts if there is an issue or question I do not understand or am unable to answer on my own. The teamwork and willingness of other employees to help answer your questions makes this a great place to work.
What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?
At Hyland, 90 percent of employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 8 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.
Hyland created its campus in Westlake, Ohio with fun in mind. One building has slides connecting the first and second floors, one has a gym and a Ping Pong table and another is equipped with a pool table and video games. There are also courts for tennis, basketball and volleyball. And employees can take care of personal errands with the onsite hair salon, wellness clinic, daycare, masseuse, travel agent, dietitian and dry cleaning service. To travel between all these things more easily, employees hop on bicycles provided by the company.
Fun and Celebrations
- Hyland's CEO has been known to stage a surprise corn hole tournament at the office or a paper airplane contest in the Hyland headquarters' atrium to give employees a break. Once a year, senior executives show their appreciation for employees by shuttling them in golf carts from the parking lot to the office, where they enjoy complimentary pastries, fruit and other breakfast treats. Other special events include an annual clam bake and a Texas Hold'em poker tournament for prizes. At the holidays, a party for employees' children features a bounce house, video games, movies and more.
Caring and Support
- Hyland provides leave for those who've lost a loved one, as well as the ability to work remotely for those facing other challenges at home, such as a sick family member. The company also offers confidential counseling resources through an employee assistance program.
People celebrate special events around here.
You're treated like a responsible adult here. You're not micromanaged, and you're often given the freedom to make your own decisions. Everyone here at Hyland is always happy and friendly and willing to help in any way they can. These things make coming to work so much more enjoyable!
What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?
At Hyland, 82 percent of employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 13 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.
Unlike other companies that I have worked with where the standard merit increases will always average 2 [percent] to 3 percent for all operations employees including for top performers, here at Hyland my merit increase is commensurate with the level and contribution of my effort during the period and or the project I am involved with. This is a tremendous incentive to know that I have some 'entrepreneurial' control of my earnings.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| $66,500 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Software Developer
|| $68,000 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Solution Engineer
| 50% 401(k) match up to 6% of an employee's contribution
|| 80% Company-paid health coverage for employees
| 80% Company-paid health coverage for dependents
|| 30 hours Weekly hours at which part-timers receive health care coverage
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- Take-home meals on a regular, daily basis
- Onsite package/mailing service
- Discount ticket sales
- Car wash
- Hair salon
- Vehicle maintenance
- Personal travel service
- Free beverages during the day
- Personal concierge service
- Massage therapy
- Fitness classes
- Weight Watchers meetings
- Convenience store
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 24 days Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment
|| $5,000 Adoption benefit
| 12 days Flex days (in addition to Paid Time Off)
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Paid sabbaticals
- Telecommute option (35% use it)
- Phased retirement planning
- Lactation rooms
- Flexible schedule (75% use it)
- Compressed workweeks (75% use it)
- Onsite child care
- Elder care resources
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
Hyland promotes an incredible work-life balance. If you complete your responsibilities, you are afforded the flexibility (in my role) to set your own schedule. This support/respect is what I find most attractive about Hyland and what compels me on a daily basis [to] go the extra yard. Management really does a great job giving employees the space to get their jobs done!
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Fertility treatments
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Cholesterol tests
- Flu shots
- Subsidized offsite gym memberships
- Blood pressure screening
- Fitness center
What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?
At Hyland, 91 percent of employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 7 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.
Using OnBase, its enterprise content management software, Hyland aims to help companies reduce operating costs, improve customer service, boost efficiency and lower risks.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
Hyland truly is a family – I didn't just feel welcomed when I joined the company, I felt like I already belonged. Solid hiring keeps all of us aligned to our common goals.
Supporting the Community
- Paid time to volunteer per employee per year: 12 hours
- Philanthropic donations in the last year: $310,472
- Hyland organizes an annual Summer of Service day that combines staff volunteerism with team-building. Last summer employees spent the day working on projects that included painting a school, landscaping a public housing development and preparing a library for a children’s event. Other charitable initiatives the company participates in include: Harvest for Hunger, winter clothing drives, United Way campaigns and blood drives. Hyland is also a sponsor of Cleveland's 2014 Gay Games.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
This company is one of the most community-involved companies I've ever seen. From community clean-up to volunteering for local festivities to serving food at a local shelter, our employees do a lot for the local Cleveland community. I recently saw two busloads head off for a neighborhood clean-up. In addition, every employee is given one day per year paid to perform community volunteer activities.
How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?
At Hyland, 85 percent of employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 12 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.
Although Hyland has 1,565 employees spread over 10 sites, most team members report the company is effective at communicating across the organization. Ninety-one percent of employees say their leaders are approachable and easy to talk with, while 87 percent feel they can ask their managers any reasonable question and get a straight answer. Additionally, 85 percent of team members believe the company genuinely seeks and responds to suggestions and ideas.
Management is very approachable and transparent. We have weekly meetings to update the entire company on what is happening within the company. We are rewarded with quarterly profit-sharing and semiannual performance bonuses. We have celebrations of company and individual accomplishments.
What are managers' leadership strengths?
At Hyland, 84 percent of employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 12 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.
Hyland employees widely appreciate the convivial atmosphere and professional challenges their leaders encourage at the company. The majority also describe an organization led by caring, principled leaders: 95 percent of employees believe their managers are honest and ethical in their business practices, while 93 percent say the company would lay people off only as a last resort. Additionally, nine in 10 team members say their leaders are competent at running the business.
Hyland fosters a great sense of family. Everyone truly believes and embraces a one-team attitude. Management is open and accessible and believe themselves to be part of the team rather than just in charge of it.
Great Perks and Programs
- You Are What You Eat: Employees are rarely far from a healthy snack at Hyland's headquarters. Guilt-free options abound at the company diner, and team members can order organic produce delivered to the office each week. Additionally, the company makes free fruit available each Wednesday.
- Wellness Center: Employees and their families can use this clinic, staffed by a nurse practitioner, for physical exams, vaccinations and treatment of minor health conditions.
- Easy Errands: Other time-saving amenities available onsite include a barber, hairstylist, massage therapist, seamstress, aesthetician and manicurist. There is also discounted dry cleaning, with free pick-up and delivery from the office, a car wash service and an onsite Montessori-based daycare.
- Annual Release Party: Hyland releases a new version of its centerpiece OnBase software every year and celebrates by setting up a beer garden in the parking lot of its headquarters. Past parties have also included mini-motorcycle races, go-kart races and dunk tanks manned by managers. Local bands play at the event, and it is catered by local food trucks and restaurants.
- Paid to Play: Once a year, Hyland shuts down its headquarters and treats every employee to two tickets to the Cedar Point amusement park, plus a parking pass and $20. The firm recently expanded the program to include theme parks near its offices in other locations. And employees can simply take a paid day off if roller coasters aren't their style.
Great Rated! collected feedback from Hyland employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.
"The work environment is exceptional – the buildings are conducive to healthy team interaction and Hyland goes to great lengths to provide perks that other companies do not offer. The people doing the work on the front lines every day are also above what you find in other companies, and that is the main reason I am here."
"The sense of team makes Hyland a great place to work -- that our employees are our family and that our customers are our partners. The understanding you receive from management is unmatched in regards to mostly everything that occurs during life. Also, Hyland gives its employees the life they want to live; I am more active than ever in company outings, sports and games, as well as completing my daily functions and tasks."
"I work in human resources. I have seen first hand that decisions are made based on what is best for the employee, not the (bottom line) business."
"We are encouraged to go to fitness classes, participate in stress-management courses, see the dietitian, take a break to visit the children in the daycare, make our own work hours and provide feedback that will actually be heard. The engagement team works hard to make these things a priority in our daily lives so we are ensured that it is okay to have a healthy work/life balance."
"Cedar Point Day makes Hyland a great place to work! One day every year, the company pays for each Ohio-based employee and a guest to take the day off and go to Cedar Point. Even during crunch time, all employees were paid for eight hours to ride on roller coasters."
"Employees are positive and really truly make this a great place to work. Where else can you start your day with yoga, get a manicure on your break and get your car washed, while doing work you love? If I want to volunteer, I can easily find an opportunity. If I want to feel better physically, I can stop by the dietitian's office. There are events all the time that my co-workers and family enjoy. Speaking of family, if your child is sick, you can pick them up at the onsite daycare and walk them over to the Wellness Center for a check-up. This is an amazing place to spend my day, and I couldn't imagine working anywhere else."
"During a normal workday, there are issues that arise that require assistance from fellow co-workers. This is never a hindrance, as every question and request for assistance are always answered. Being a remote office, however, the right person for the assistance isn't always in the same building, state, time zone or even country. Despite this, help is always there as soon as possible. Due to this, I myself am never hesitant to step in and assist another employee."
"People really enjoy coming to work. One of the first things I noticed on my interview here was how many people are smiling. Now I'm one of those smiling faces and it's clear to me why. It's a family of smiling faces. This place is like no other."
"Hyland does a great job of having fun and interesting parties, which are frequent for an office setting. They put on events like Texas Hold'em poker tournaments, Clam N' Jam, which is a big party near the beach on Whiskey Island where musically inclined Hyland employees play in their bands, and also have movie nights outside on a projector."
"Our company truly operates and lives by our core values. It's pretty spectacular when you can just tell by the culture that we really thrive to meet those core values. You can get the vibe just by walking throughout the Hyland headquarters and being greeted with smiles and hellos that employees are truly happy and love being at work. Hyland really focuses on hiring the right individuals for the Hyland culture and then works to get them in the perfect position that will assist with growing the company's success and also their professional development. We are encouraged to take on greater responsibilities that will assist with our career development. I also love and appreciate that Hyland respects a work-life balance. We have the flexibility to come in late if we're not early risers."
"From the first day I entered training I knew I was surrounded by intellectuals. This company has accumulated the most talented, smart and caring people I've ever had the chance to work with. Having this in my daily work life is amazing, I know I can count on people and I don't have to worry about playing games. It's all about getting the job done, and at the same time, bettering ourselves as professionals."
"Hyland constantly seeks input from its employees about how to make the work experience happier, healthier, more productive and also more fun. I am personally encouraged to set short-term and long-term goals that are checked throughout the year by my manager, and these help me to proactively work on my leadership and technical development skills while being at work."
How to Get Hired
We asked Hyland for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
At Hyland, we seek to hire top performers who are passionate about what they do on a daily basis. Evaluating prospective employees against our Core Competencies is a step we take to ensure we are hiring the right people to move our business forward at Hyland. We believe employees who demonstrate these principles are our most valuable assets, as they define how we expect work to be done. Hyland’s Core Competencies are: ethics and values, customer focus, achieving results, analytical problem solving and flexible and adaptive. During an interview, candidates will have the opportunity to tour our facility and see what it is like to be a Hylander. Our atmosphere is engaging and full of passionate people. We look for those same traits while interviewing candidates.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Start by completing the application in full and tell us why you are a good fit for Hyland. We look for people who are creative, flexible and have a genuine interest in technology, as well as a strong focus on customer service.
Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?
Hyland’s application includes writing a short poem about your most recent job. Get creative in 40 to 60 words!
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
Hyland is planning to continue to grow our domestic and international presence by adding experienced software sales professionals and both technical and business consultants, as well as experienced project managers. Research and development teams will also be looking to add additional team members to develop and test OnBase.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
There are many ways candidates can find out about our current openings. Check out www.onbase.com/careers to see an up-to-date listing of all available opportunities. While you’re there, submit an application! Social media is also a good way to get in touch with Hyland’s recruiting team. Connect with Hyland on LinkedIn, follow us on Twitter or Instagram and “like” us on Facebook.
||30Average number of applicants per opening
|6%Total voluntary turnover in past year
||10739Applicants in past year
|116Openings in past year
||51%New hires by employee referrals
Follow Hyland, creator of OnBase