What You Should Know
Wayne Holly, president of Sage Rutty and Company, sets a tone of openness and friendliness from the get-go for every new employee. How? By taking the time to insure communication happens at each and every opportunity. Town Hall meetings, newsletters, open doors, and one to one lunches out with new employees create an environment of trust and culture. That open, personal tone courses throughout this New York financial services firm and makes it a place where everyone feels they’re working together, creating something special while having fun and giving back to the community. It’s not uncommon to find employees here rallying for a colleague in need or sharing a laugh over pancakes cooked by Holly himself, so steer clear if you’re not a team player looking to connect with your coworkers. “The president sets the bar for all of his employees,” says one staffer, “to be better people, to take care of each other and be a part of our community.”
WHAT THEY DO
Sage Rutty and Company is a financial services firm that offers everything from financial and retirement planning to small business strategies, trust services and estate planning. Their customers include individuals, families, small business owners and college-bound students.
||US Headquarters: Rochester, New York
|US Sites: 1
||Major Locations: Rochester, NY
|US Employees: 52
||US Revenues: $11.33 million
|Worldwide Revenues: $11.33 million
|Industry: Financial Services & Insurance
How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?
Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected Sage Rutty and Company employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. An average of 93 percent of Sage Rutty and Company employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 7 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 100 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.
The majority of employees (92 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and notably all of them (100 percent) also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For the vast majority of employees (98 percent), their work at Sage Rutty and Company is more than just a job: the opportunity to grow and develop professionally while helping clients manage their wealth, provides special meaning.
At Sage Rutty and Company, 94 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at Sage Rutty and Company, 94 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, exceeding what one can typically expect even at the very best companies in the country.
Supporting Employee Development
- Tuition Reimbursement Average: $10,000
- Average annual training for part-time hourly employees: 66 hours
- Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 66 hours
- Sage Rutty and Company has created the Build a Better U (BBU) development program consisting of education and coaching opportunities for all employees to develop their talents. They have also implemented an internal mentorship program, provide regular cross training and arrange online continuing education courses employees can work on during the workday.
Management provides ample resources and encouragement to better ourselves personally and professionally.
What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?
An average of 98 percent of Sage Rutty and Company employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 2 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 100 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.
Fun and Celebrations
- Sage Rutty and Company staffers love to cook, and one of their more notable ways to have fun is through their two annual cook-offs. The “Souper" Bowl is a soup cook-off held the week prior to the Super Bowl with all proceeds going to the charity chosen by the winner. They also have annual cookie exchanges, regular pancake breakfasts and the annual Tour de Cure, a ride for the American Diabetes Association’s Tour de Cure.
Caring and Support
- Sage Rutty and Company’s people recognize individual situations and work with employees to help them with the flexibility needed to do their job and balance their life outside of the office. Whether it’s adjusting an employee’s hours due to a family’s scheduling conflicts, allowing an extended window for medical appointments or permitting an employee to leave early and attend to a sick family member, they aim to ensure there is always coverage to assist clients with their needs.
People celebrate special events around here.
There is a unique and special family atmosphere here at Sage Rutty. Everyone genuinely cares for each other and will help out when someone is in need, business or personal.
What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?
An average of 93 percent of Sage Rutty and Company employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 7 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 100 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.
The benefits are fantastic. They offer a more-than-reasonable amount of vacation and paid holiday time off and have several health and fitness support groups. This company cares about my personal and professional wellness, happiness and health.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
Weekly hours at which part-timers receive health-care coverage
Company-paid health coverage for dependents
Company-paid health coverage for employees
- 401(k) or 403b Plan
- Pre-Tax Savings Account
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- Onsite package/mailing service
- Convenience store
- Free beverages during the day
- Massage therapy
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
Holidays & 15 vacation days after one year of employment
Job Protected Leave provided under FMLA
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible Schedule (70% use it)
- Job Sharing (2% use it)
- Lactation Rooms
- Telecommute Option (50% use it)
- Elder-care Resources
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
Recently, my daughter had an extended hospital stay at a hospital more than an hour from her home. I was able to drive out there and stay three weeks to care for toddlers at home so her husband could be with her. My firm wholeheartedly supported my decision. Our wonderful technology allowed me to work remotely during my grandson's nap time, and others stepped in to cover me at the office.
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
- Vision care
- Mental health care
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?
An average of 98 percent of Sage Rutty and Company employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 2 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 100 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.
Sage Rutty and Company provides wealth management services to clients during their early years of wealth accumulation, through post-retirement legacy and estate planning and every stage in between. It is the oldest, locally-owned financial services firm in Rochester, N.Y., serving a number of second- and even third-generation clients.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
When I came to Sage Rutty I never would have imagined how proud and happy I would become. Sage Rutty encourages and supports all of its employees not only to grow in knowledge and work skills, but personally as well.
Supporting the Community
- Philanthropic donations in the last year: $66,427
- Sage Rutty and Company employees serve on the boards of local nonprofits and charitable organizations, and many volunteer for hands-on work when the opportunity arises. One of the organizations Sage Rutty and Company has provided support to is Habitat for Humanity, with 100 percent of employees participating in 2009. The company has also donated to Support Our Troops, and they have earned the United Way of Rochester Award of Excellence Level after participating for the past 30 years.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
From preparing various potluck lunches and cooking competitions (and the requisite clean up) to an annual end-of-tax-season breakfast; and from collecting pop tabs for a local charity to fundraising for the American Diabetes Association, everyone chips in, all the time!
How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?
An average of 90 percent of Sage Rutty and Company employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 10 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 100 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.
Sage Rutty and Company leaders work to communicate effectively with staff, and the significant majority of the team says they get the information they need. More than nine out of 10 Sage Rutty and Company employees report that they feel their managers are approachable, easy to talk with and genuinely seek and respond to staff suggestions and ideas. Nine out of 10 employees also say their leaders keep them informed about important issues and changes.
Over 14 years, I have seen management listen to the employees and make changes to make Sage Rutty a better place to be employed. We are in the middle of a strategic plan for our company, and every one of us has an input on the future of this place. It is awesome to have a voice in the company you work for.
What are managers' leadership strengths?
An average of 91 percent of Sage Rutty and Company employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 8 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 99 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.
Sage Rutty and Company employees widely appreciate the strong family atmosphere and open communication their leaders encourage at the company. It is evident that staff have a great deal of faith in how their leaders are running the business: all employees say their leaders are honest and ethical in their business practices. A significant majority (98 percent) also feel their managers consistently deliver on their promises. The upstanding way employees say the leaders of Sage Rutty and Company do business includes how they treat their staff: 98 percent of employees say their managers show a sincere interest in them as a person, not just an employee.
The leadership of Sage Rutty is incredibly accessible. The President/CEO's door is always wide-open and input/feedback is welcomed and appreciated. Every single employee here has the opportunity to be involved in the strategic planning of this company.
Great Perks and Programs
- Commitment to Wellness: Employees benefit from numerous health and wellness programs offered by Sage Rutty and Company, including healthful snacks available for purchase, summertime produce deliveries, bi-weekly chair massages and a weight loss support group called "Chub Club." They also have their own "Biggest Loser" competition.
- Tuition/Accreditation Reimbursement: Sage Rutty and Company encourages and covers the cost of study materials as well as licensing exams for all employees pursuing industry accreditation, such as the CFP (Certified Financial Planner) designation, up to a cost of $10,000.
- Work-Life Balance: Each year, Sage Rutty and Company offers employees three free half-days in the summer and one free half-day during the month of December, in addition to paid time off days, to get errands done or enjoy some time to themselves. The company also provides onsite dry cleaning pick-up and delivery, annual flu shots, exercise opportunities and an onsite massage therapist.
- Profit Sharing: The firm makes an annual profit-sharing contribution, for the benefit of all employees who have completed one year of service. That contribution is 20 percent of the firm’s pre-taxed profits each year. The firm returns the commissions back to each employee's profit-sharing account allowing them to keep these profits.
- Don’t Be Crabby Happy Hour: This tradition started as a way to foster camaraderie and forge bonds outside of the office, and has now become a regular event that includes cocktails and food at the local crab shack, and extends to include significant others of the Sage Rutty and Company team.
Great Rated! collected feedback from Sage Rutty and Company employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.
"I continue to be happily surprised by the community warmth, encouragement and camaraderie shown by this great small company. People go out of their way to help one another, listen to each other and work together."
"Everyone is treated fairly and equally. Management is very accessible and is always willing to listen and help you with matters — big or small."
"The CEO is a regular, honest, trustworthy person who respects all employees and their contributions to the firm."
"I tell people that I work here with pride. This is not something I could do at most of my other jobs."
"The family environment creates an amazing place to work with only positive energy from all."
"Our CEO is very hands on with the employees and does not consider himself above any other person in the company. We have more parties to celebrate and achieve goals more than any other company I know of."
"In general, people celebrate the success of others. Many organizations in our industry don't share this characteristic."
"Everyone, from management to staff, is respectful and encouraging."
"Employees build and strengthen relationships with each other based on common interests. Employees also take the time to recognize each other in unique ways like a small gift of thanks or volunteering to cover for someone."
"Everybody here, from the CEO to the interns, is on the same level. No one is put down or given special treatment because of their position or production. Also, there is a family vibe to this company that cannot be overstated. We eat together, cook together, celebrate together and overcome obstacles together."
"One of our core values, 'Do the right thing always' is painted in our lunch room. It is a credo that employees strive for in and out of the office."
"This company has a leader with a vision and surrounds himself with a team that shares that vision."
How to Get Hired
We asked Sage Rutty and Company for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
When Sage Rutty looks at possible candidates to add to the firm, we look to ensure the candidates are marketable individuals and are aware of the company’s image, goals and client base. Being marketable translates to being presentable to clients with regard to professional dress, etiquette, communications, preparedness — generally a good ambassador for the company. Being a fit with the culture here at Sage Rutty ranks high on the list of characteristics and is demonstrated by the responses provided to behavioral-based interview questions, ideally aligning with our core values. Additional focus is placed on past successes. A history of meeting goals, earning achievements and commitment to continued development all are promising indicators of a future of success here at the firm.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
We feel strongly about successful partnerships with employees. We interview candidates and we like candidates to interview us. Being engaged and prepared with good questions is always positive. A good fit works both ways. Candidates who catch our eye usually demonstrate a strong level of self-awareness and a comfort with themselves. An example might be to chat with the receptionist while waiting. During the interview process, a few attention grabbers might be a show of trust in responses or demonstrate being comfortable with vulnerability, possibly by offering up an unvarnished, genuine response. A natural tendency to connect with individuals on a personal level lets us know candidates understand the importance of relationships.
Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?
Nothing unusual or overly rigorous.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
Financial advisers, although we are always looking for great candidates for other positions.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Visit our website and contact us at email@example.com.
|30Average number of applicants per opening
||190Applicants in past year
|25%New hires by employee referrals