What You Should Know
It's one of the fastest growing technology companies in the world, but salesforce.com still maintains the culture it was built on — trust, transparency and teamwork. Employees say it helps spread innovation throughout the organization, which is what the company is all about. Despite the rapid growth, managers get high marks for communication in this busy workplace where employees can bring their dogs to work, take an onsite yoga class or work from a treadmill desk. Salesforce.com employees are energetic and passionate about what they do. Those who are content with the status quo might want to look elsewhere. "There is a huge push for innovation, and with that comes grace for trying and failing," says one employee. "I think that's what keeps people innovative. Salesforce.com nails this, and I love being empowered to push the limits."
WHAT THEY DO
Salesforce.com provides CRM and cloud computing services that enable its client companies to sell, service and market to their customers through its mobile, social and cloud technology platform.
| Website: www.salesforce.com
|| US Headquarters: San Francisco, California
| US Sites: 32
|| Major Locations: San Francisco, CA; Chicago, IL; New York, NY; San Mateo, CA; Portland, OR
|Stock Symbol: CRM
|| US Employees: 10559
| Employees worldwide: 15000
|| Founded: 1999
| Industry: Information Technology
How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?
Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. At salesforce.com, 86 percent of employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 11 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.
Salesforce.com employees provide cloud computing services that companies use to manage their sales, customer relations, social media, data and services. The company has approximately 10,559 employees in the United States, where they operate 32 offices.
A large majority of employees (92 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and most (87 percent) also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For the majority of employees (86 percent), their work at salesforce.com is more than just a job: The chance to help customers achieve business success provides special meaning.
At salesforce.com, 86 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at salesforce.com, 78 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, exceeding what one can typically expect even at the very best companies in the country.
Supporting Employee Development
- College Tuition Reimbursement: $5,000
- Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 1991 hours
- Salesforce.com has a talent consulting team that helps employees find their dream job through training programs, assessments and team-building exercises. It also has programs that help managers develop their employees' careers, an eight-month "key talent" program for the company's top performers and job shadowing.
Salesforce.com is a company where you can build and accelerate your career. I feel challenged and accomplished in my work every day. Promotions happen every month and we are encouraged to celebrate career success. As a manager, my goal is to coach and mentor my team to do their best work and find their dream job.
What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?
At salesforce.com, 85 percent of employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 11 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.
Salesforce.com has 32 locations in the U.S., and its headquarters is in San Francisco. Offices are open and such innovations as walking treadmill desks are available. There are also relaxing locations to work in if people need a change of scenery from their desk. Employees in some locations can also reserve a special workroom decorated like an outdoor park if they want to bring in their puppy for a visit.
Fun and Celebrations
- Salesforce.com hosts Dreamforce, a huge software conference attended by many organizations and Salesforce.com employees. It is educational as well as a fun time, featuring leading speakers and such events as concerts at AT&T Park in San Franciso. There are also several holiday celebrations in unique locations such as San Francisco City Hall.
Caring and Support
- Salesforce.com has a variety of programs to support employees, whether they are having a baby, adopting a child or need help to care for aging parents. Every office has a wellness room for employees to use for personal matters during work hours. It also offers wellness workshops on such topics as financial planning and stress management. There are flu shot clinics and salesforce.com keeps fresh fruit and other healthy snacks on hand in the office.
People celebrate special events around here.
My co-workers are an amazing group of people and I feel extremely supported in everything I do. We're always in it together and there's an amazing sense of camaraderie among our team. I'd say that's pretty unusual in a corporate environment - we're all doing our fair share of the work, we're happy to work together and we all like each other.
What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?
At salesforce.com, 84 percent of employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 11 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.
The company generally makes sure the employees are well taken care of while employed. I was just out on paternity leave, and one of the benefits was a $250 meal allowance the company paid me to compensate for the cost of take-out meals while my wife and I were on leave.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| $61,000 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Account Executive (Small to Medium Business)
|| $136,000 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Software Engineering SMTS
| 50% 401(k) match of employee's salary, up to 6% of an employee's contribution
|| 80% Company-paid health coverage for employees
| 80% Company-paid health coverage for dependents
|| 20 hours Weekly hours at which part-timers receive health care coverage
- 401(k) or 403b plan
- Pre-tax savings account
- Employee stock purchase plan
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- Free breakfast foods on a regular, daily basis
- Massage therapy
- Subsidized public transportation
- Free beverages during the day
- Onsite package/mailing service
- Fitness classes
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 32 days Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment
|| $5,000 Adoption benefit
| 60 days Job protected maternity leave provided above and beyond FMLA
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Unpaid sabbaticals
- Elder care resources
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
There is a strong emphasis on work/life balance. The work is important but maintaining an enjoyable work environment makes it fun and employees are willing [to] stay late if needed to get work done because they enjoy their work and office environment.
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Fertility treatments
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Cholesterol tests
- Fitness center
- Flu shots
- Subsidized offsite gym memberships
What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?
At salesforce.com, 90 percent of employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 8 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.
Salesforce.com is growing quickly. Its clients include major corporations such as Toyota, Wells Fargo, Virgin America and Facebook. It has received numerous awards, including Forbes magazine's World's Most Innovative Company in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 and has been on Fortune's Most Admired Computer Software Company in 2013. Salesforce.com has also been recognized on Great Place to Work and Fortune's Best Companies to Work For list for the past six consecutive years.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
There is a sense of pride across the whole company that we are truly helping our customers transform the way that they do business, especially with regards to social and mobile applications/offerings and the way that they connect to their customers and their products.
Supporting the Community
- Paid time to volunteer per employee per year: 48 hours
- Philanthropic donations in the last year: $88,000,000
- Salesforce.com has a 1/1/1 philanthropy model: it donates 1 percent of employees’ time, 1 percent of its equity and 1 percent of the salesforce.com product to its communities. One of its projects is a benefit concert each year in San Francisco to support physically impaired children.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
We put great value on volunteering, which I think helps foster a real sense of pride in the company. Also, people are encouraged to organize their own volunteer activities with organizations that they are passionate about.
How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?
At salesforce.com, 82 percent of employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 13 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.
Salesforce.com is adding staff quickly and now has more than 10,000 employees spread over 32 locations in the United States. Despite these growing numbers, most employees feel the company is successful in its staff communications. In fact, a majority of employees (86 percent) say managers are approachable and easy to talk with and almost as many (85 percent) agree that managers also genuinely seek and respond to suggestions and ideas. At least eight out of 10 employees report that they can ask managers reasonable questions and get straight answers, are kept informed about important issues and changes and that management makes its expectations clear.
It's a relationship-based company where one can circumvent hierarchy and reach out to peers in different departments to collaborate directly.
What are managers' leadership strengths?
At salesforce.com, 81 percent of employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 14 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.
Salesforce.com employees widely appreciate the great pride and challenges their leaders encourage at the company, as well as the support they show for their career development. Most (83 percent) report that managers show sincere interest in them as people, not just employees. An overwhelming number of employees surveyed (93 percent) described their managers as honest and ethical in their business practices, while almost as many - nine out of 10 - agree they are competent at running the business. Most (85 percent) say management delivers on its promises and almost as many (84 percent) feel management's actions match its words.
The people on top say hello to me, know my name, ask me how I am and are genuinely approachable and concerned despite their insane schedules.
Great Perks and Programs
- Paid Time Off for Foundation Work: Every year an employee is picked to work with the Salesforce.com Foundation Fellowship, which makes salesforce.com products available to nonprofits and educational institutions. Their salaries and benefits continue and they can return to their original position or a comparable one at the end of the period.
- Puppyforce: This program allows employees to reserve desks in special dog-friendly rooms when they want to bring their pets to work. Each visiting puppy gets an official badge with their picture and credentials. The rooms are decorated as outdoor parks and have comfy dog beds and water bowls.
- Expectant Parent Program: This program offers resources to employees who are expecting or adopting a child. It includes seminars that walk parents-to-be through the ins and outs of maternity and paternity leave, special office hours for employees who would like to discuss other leave options, resources on a benefits website and recorded presentations for those who can't make it to the seminars.
- Merit Increases: Salesforce.com salaries are above market rates and once a year, eligible employees are considered for a merit salary increase that averages 4 percent.
- Stock Purchase Plan: All eligible employees are given discounts on company stock purchases.
- Wellness Reimbursement: Employees receive $100 every month to spend on wellness, whether that's a gym membership, massage, yoga or other activities.
Great Rated! collected feedback from salesforce.com employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.
"We are big on volunteering and giving back to the community! I love that we can use our work hours to volunteer here."
"The company has come up with really unique ways to engage and recognize employees. I have gone to concerts, sporting events and executive lunches as a form of recognition for my hard work. The company also is amazing at celebrating its success by giving back to the community. Our 15th birthday this year is a perfect example. We donated over 15,000 pounds of food to the San Francisco food bank."
"The corporate culture places a major emphasis on trust, transparency and teamwork. For example, I don't know of many other companies where the CEO engages and listens to the employee base on key initiatives and strategic direction. This collaborative focus facilitates the spread of great ideas that can come from anyone, anywhere."
"I really appreciate the devotion to employee physical and mental health at our company, including our fitness reimbursement, treadmill desks and ability to volunteer our time during work hours."
"This is the first company I've worked for that acknowledges where it has room for improvement in its hiring practices and actually acts upon its promises. We had a town hall and the COO was open about needing more women and minorities, even going as far as promising one female candidate for every VP spot. If an employee wants more responsibility to further their role, you only need to ask and follow through."
"People are respected and kind towards one another. We often get together outside of work and it truly feels like a family. Everyone also works to support and celebrate each other regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or religion. Two of my co-workers got engaged around the same time: One of them was in a heterosexual relationship, and one was in a homosexual relationship. I can honestly say the jubilation surrounding both of these wonderful people was equal. I love working in this inclusive and happy place."
"This is by far the best work environment I've worked in. We get free breakfast Monday to Thursday and lunch catered on Mondays as well. We have walking treadmill desks that help me be productive while feeling active and they have tons of relaxing places to work from within the building that are not your boring old desk."
"Living a healthy lifestyle is encouraged and supported. Monthly stipends, fresh fruit and healthy snacks are all great ways to provide employees the options to live healthier lives."
"They genuinely care for employees, they have events that the employee would have fun at, not just events that the company does to look better. They take any opportunity to make you feel good about working here. You just feel like you belong from day one."
"We work really hard but at the same time, salesforce.com gives good perks as a reward. It's easy to talk to my direct manager ... They do make employees comfortable for the long hours we work here. Free food, drinks, snacks, etc."
"I'm working with some of the smartest people I've ever been around and selling a product that customers love using - that in itself is unique and makes salesforce.com a great place to work in my opinion."
"Everyone here is genuinely happy to help if you reach out. I've never worked for a company that had such a strong strategy for job shadowing and clear path for promotion."
How to Get Hired
We asked salesforce.com for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
The key characteristics we look for in prospective employees at salesforce.com are big thinkers - people who are always looking for what's next and discovering different or innovative ways to do things. We also place a high value on people who have a passion for contributing back to their communities through volunteerism. We value likability and culture fit, and think about whether we would like working with prospective candidates and whether we believe they will add positive energy to the salesforce.com work environment.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
At salesforce.com, we are inherently social, so the best way to get our attention is to connect with us and follow us on our social channels. When you engage with us on social media, let us know what it is about salesforce.com that you find intriguing, or what about our company gets you excited about the prospect of working with us. We hire close to 60 percent of our employees via referrals, so tapping into your network and finding a friend to walk you in is also a great way to get our attention.
Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?
One rigorous step of our hiring process for account executives is learning our pitch and presenting it to a panel of our sales executives. This exercise is about helping us to gauge a candidate's ability to build trust and deeply connect with the audience, because we believe those are key abilities for being successful at salesforce.com and delivering success for our customers.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We are always focused on hiring the most innovative technical talent in the market, as well as bringing highly skilled salespeople on board. We are also prioritizing increasing the number of female leaders at salesforce.com across all departments.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
We encourage interested candidates to follow and connect with us on all of our social channels, visit our newly revamped careers website (www.salesforce.com/dreamjob) and see what the crowd has to say about us on www.glassdoor.com.
||101Average number of applicants per opening
|317000Applicants in past year
||56%New hires by employee referrals